(I posted some new pictures - see end of blog).
Well, we feel like real Koreans. We have had the chicken that is so popular for delivery. But let me go in time order. Sat. Justin came over about noon. He wrote more Korean directions for us to give taxi drivers: university and school have been added. Michael and I both have a set in a laminated cover. He also found a convenience store nearby where we can add money to our bus passes. We then went to the grocery store in the neighborhood to check the adjoining restaurant so Justin could tell us some of the menu items. We ended up eating a delicious (and inexpensive) lunch there. It is nice in Korea that the price includes tax and there is no tipping. I told Justin I was fine with reading the first two items (gimbap and bibimbap). He was surprised and said, "You are reading Korean? When did that happen?" I said I am working on it and it's not too hard because it's sounding out the words. But it's easy to mix up letters, and I have not learned all of them. I would REALLY like to be speaking.
Justin had a couple idea for things to do, and I was telling him there are 12 scenes/views in Ulsan that the city promotes for tourism. He didn't know about that. But the place he picked, a park past Michael's school. turns out to be 1 of the 12. There was a sign. It was a rocky area near the port and HHI. We saw many big ships heading into port. Then we were heading back to our neighborhood. When we got off the bus we agreed we were a bit hungry, and I said that on the bus I had mentioned chicken to Michael. We decided to go to a place vs. having Justin walk back to our apartment to order. I had seen a couple places when investigating the neighborhood. The first didn't even have seating - it really is a delivery thing. But the second place had a couple little tables. I was glad it turned out to be a place that does not fry and we could get it boneless. It comes from an oven and seems sort of baked/grilled. It had sort of mild teriyaki sauce, and two sauces were served on the side. There were about 20 pieces in our order - two or so bites per piece. The utensils make a lot of sense - fork about the size of salad fork and tongs the same size. We just stabbed with fork because of no bones, but I expect with bones that one holds the meat with the tong and then uses fork to tear off chicken. The chicken always comes with pickled radishes and a can of Pepsi per order. So we split the Pepsi!! There are always self serve water coolers in restaurants. There is absolutely nothing else that comes along with the order; the menu is only chicken. Not a carrot or celery stick to be seen!! Justin and I were both surprised by how much Michael liked the radishes.
We had a lot of fun. I don't think a lot of people even go in the actual store front, and a child and mom from the States appeared to be a novelty. The people were so nice to us. I was taking a picture of Justin and Michael, and the owner volunteered to take a picture of the three of us. I told Justin Koreans are so friendly AND also good with cameras - he agreed. The owner gave Michael a set of cards (about 5 x 9) of 9 attractive young ladies who are in a band and advertise for this chicken chain. The girls are pretty and not too scantily attired though their skirts are quite short. When I paid with my credit card, the woman looked and said my name (Kay vs. Key ... like others we have met). So we are quite excited to have that experience! Justin showed us which picture to point at next time and also the part of the words that mean "boneless." I said about our day, "Ulsan is more fun with Justin."
Today (Sunday) a sweet 13 year old girl approached me after church. She spent a year in Nebraska as an exchange student. She was translating for me and for her dad. She asked for our phone number. She likes to go to the English service given her year in the States. This afternoon Jo-el (I will spell like Michael does) met us at the park. His dad dropped him off and returned 1 1/2 hours later. I had the boys check in with me about every 30 minutes. They seemed to have a lot of fun. We had some cool ice cream that comes in an individual carton, but then they put it in a machine and out came softer swirl.
We've branched out a bit at the grocery lately. We found some finely chopped onions, celery, and carrots and bought it to make tuna salad and potato salad ... so now I don't miss my Pampered Chef chopper. We got a fresh veg. combination packet that has broth and seasoning for soup - lots of onions, some potatoes, carrots, and green pepper, and lots of straw mushrooms. I added some tofu and ate it all for lunch today. (Michael said he had enough snacks after church to count it as lunch - he would not have eaten any of the soup.) We also bought some stuff in plastic large pouch type packaging - it looks like we just open and heat. One is actually spaghetti with sauce. We tried one of the free samples and thought it would make a good dinner. A couple others are soup or curry. We bought a lot of sliced ham for Michael for sandwiches for school. The cheese seems all the be processed, but he does not mind. We also tried a couple different things at Paris Baguette including what was like a round donut with sweet potato filling and blakc sesame seeds on outside - I liked it a lot. And now my brother, Mike, is wondering if I actually took pictures of all the food .... but I did not!
School starts tomorrow. We are leaving by 7:20 (I let Michael decide). Then I go to the university and then back to get him. I expect he will ride on his own soon, but we don't have a second phone yet, and I am sure he will be a little nervous until he gets everything about school figured out. I am trying to get some sermons on my IPod and other edifying content (I have some good Christian music). It doesn't seem easy to read. One thing we definitely hope for is a seat. Michael has not complained about standing, and yesterday he stood for more than 30 minutes. He gave us his seat to an older lady - I was proud of him. Often a younger person and/or male keeps his seat. So, please keep the start of school and work in your prayers. We know Hurricane Irene is likely dominating your news and hope and pray for safety of people in the path and dealing with the afterwards. God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment