Yes, it's my 50th birthday. First, a good update on my mom. She is feeling much better and emotionally and mentally is "back," in the term of my family. She has a way to go physically but is glad to be off IV nutrition and some medicine. She needs strength and stamina to make progress in PT and OT, but it sounds like things are moving in a good direction. She seems to be in good hands in the care center. I continue to pray for her spiritual well-being and my dad too. John Piper has a very good short essay "Don't Waste Your Cancer," which could apply to any serious physical challenge. All of us should spend time thinking about eternity and where we think we will spend it and why.
So ... 50! My first BD present was from Ros and Ralph, friends from church and teachers at Michael's school. It's a Beth Moore book on John, the Beloved Disciple. I was so pleased. I have read a few things by her but had not heard of this book. I started it immediately.
Friday I had asked a few students and the office workers (young gals who look like students!) to go out for lunch. The students are from English language practice. They sort of needed to be there to help us all communicate. I knew it would make the day more festive for me, but I didn't tell them it was my birthday until we were at lunch because I didn't want them to do anything. Two of them disappeared. I thought they were outside talking on their phones. They returned with a lovely Paris Baguette cake sweet potato cheese cake with candles lit. They sang in Korean and English. We had lunch at a very good Western restaurant near campus. Then later when I was toiling away on my research in my office (running a bunch of regressions) the 3 students came by with a box. It is a Univ. of Ulsan pink sweatshirt with a hood. They know I have been dressing warmly and wearing Michael's school sweatshirt. The pink one is great. There was a also pencil case and small credit card/cash holder. These are the students I got to know the best - partly because they came to the sessions regularly and also because their English is pretty good. They are so kind.
Michael was at a BD party FRI after school and got home about 9:30. We had our plan for Saturday: DVD room, dinner, and singing room. The DVD room is a private viewing of your movie of choice. We planned Harry Potter because Michael just read the books. The singing rooms are very popular here. It's private karaoke. We have to do it before we leave. When the MBA students were here, they went almost every night. Well, our plans changed when Prof. Jang called FRI night and asked if we were available SAT night. We don't have a lot of social opportunities, and we both like him and his wife so much. I told him it was my BD so it would feel like a continuing celebration to see them.
We went to their new apartment for the first time. They gave us a gift box with some gingeng teas and also some pretty fancy looking socks. They had a lovely cake from ... Paris Baguette, of course!! These cakes are amazing. They are small and round - enough for 8 or so pieces. This one was blueberry cake. The topping is more like whipped cream than frosting. The top was decorated with some blueberries. Whenever we are in PB for a sandwich or snack, I admire the cakes. Then we drove about 30 minutes out of town to a restaurant near Busan. It's a small compound with zoo/petting animals, green house, antique store and shop. Tradtional rice-stalk roofs are on all the buildings. The most popular main course is duck cooked inside pumpkin. There were several side dishes, ban chan, as usual. They also ordered some beef that Michael likes a lot. The restaurant has Korean-style floor seating and was quite busy. It was great food and a very fun afternoon and evening. Apparently it is one of Prof. Jang's favorites. They have been such good friends to us. We are so thankful to know them. Justin is doing very well in the military and earned time off base this weekend.
So, please stand by for post on singing room! We will have to wait until next weekend to have plenty of time.
God bless you and your families. Jesus wants to enter into everything with us - the highs and the lows. What a friend for sinners. Love, Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment