Yes, we have now had the very Korean experience to go to a singing room (pronounced No Ray Bahng). Last Saturday we first went to a DVD room and watched the first Harry Potter movie. Michael read all the books over about 6 weeks, and now we plan to make our way through the movies. It's a private room with three-seat or so big couch (legs can stretch out ... what is that called??! ... chaise?). It was $12 US each, which seemed reasonable. We grabbed a quick sandwich in the basement of Hyundai Department Store - a kebob place owned and run by a Turkish man - and then went to the singing room about 5:30 (not the prime time, we could tell). It's private - no glass or anything for anyone to see in. There were two couches and a love seat and room for dancing (if one chose!). The lights were flashing and the music was loud. It was funny that the background video looked like a home movie taken in Paris. Maybe they only want to pay copyright for the music. It took Michael a couple of songs to get into it. We only did about 5 songs - Born in the USA, Hey Jude, and a couple others. The young lady working brought us a soft serve ice cream about 10 minutes into our session ... maybe it's standard. It was about $15 US, which struck me as kind of high for 30 minutes or so. But maybe it's an hourly charge, and if we had other friends, it wouldn't seem so high. I wanted to be able to say I had done it, so that goal has been accomplished. Michael would actually like to go back on his own.
I have also been making my way through sweet potato items. I had a latte, which is delicious. It's mashed sweet potato basically mixed into the steaming hot milk and so like a mild flavor in the milk. Next on the list is pizza, which we will try Monday. I am meeting for English practice 4 afternoons a week right now with up to 7students. 3 are from the fall and asked me a couple weeks ago to do this meeting over brek. We are going out as a group for the pizza. They are looking forward to meeting Michael. We will also try bulgogi pizza - it ought to seem fairly "normal" because it is basically spicy beef.
Michael received a very good report card. The middle of the school year was technically in January, so the reports and teacher-parent meetings were in Feb. I was especially glad to see all the behavior/character items marked "always." I had not met his new math teacher, Mr. MacFarlane, so it was nice to meet him and tell him how much Michael has enjoyed math since he started with them in Jan. He is South African. Michael also has him for P.E. right now, and they played/learned about rugby this week.
I have enjoyed some Friday late afternoon/evening socializing with two of the teachers, Ros (also church friend) and Corleen. They go every Friday and invited me along too. Usually it's a bit of shopping/errands - last couple of times it's been for baby stuff because Ros' daughter and her baby are visiting. We walked around a bit last night and found a place to have grilled duck. A few nights ago we celebrated Ros' birthday at their apartment. They made mac and cheese, chicken taco meat, and a salad. They also picked up Samosas from the Indian restaurant that is our regular Sunday place. Michael ate two Samosas and a lot of mac and cheese. I was going to get a cake, but she had already made cupcakes. So I picked up Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. It was a big hit. It's all ice cream, and there were six kinds - basically they were in separate wedges. I think most of us managed to try all six. It's good we are accustomed to Korean-style sharing. Corleen was there too and also Barbara, a Korean teacher assistant who goes to church with us. At some point we all put on the bow that had been wrapped around the cake. Marick, the baby, is great entertainment, of course. It was a very nice evening. Michael said it was one of the best birthday parties he has attended.
I was glad to meet my work goal of finishing a research paper over break. I am ready to submit it to a journal Monday. Then I will spend next week getting ready to start the semester. My first teaching day is March 5. Prof. Kim will be back from States via China early next week. It will be good to see him. Also, the other instructors who have offices near mine will be around again and occasional lunch companions. I have been very productive the last 6 weeks, but it will be nice to have more interaction at work. The weather is giving hints of Spring too ... just small ones, but highs are staying in mid 40s and higher.
The latest I have heard about my mom is that she has had a few setbacks but that they are continuing to work with her, especially PT. The only sure foundation for whatever life brings us is Jesus Christ and God's word. Please keep my parents in your prayers and also that Michael and I will be faithful witnesses to Jesus Christ in our sphere of influence.
No comments:
Post a Comment