Language class is cruising along. The bookstore is out of the book, but the teacher has some handouts. We learned the entire alphabet and all the dipthongs and rules for the sounds of letters when they are at the end of a syllable. Monday wasn't too hard, but today was harder. It takes a lot of practice, so I am going to try to keep myself organized and practice regularly. There are several English language teachers enrolled, some PhD students, a few spouses of Hyundai foreign related operations, and others. A few countries are India, Viet Nam, Ireland, Canada, England. The rapport among the students seems pretty good, but today there were several more people - we are at 23. The teacher is hoping the university will split the class into two sections, especially because it's a conversation class and we need to practice. The people with more experience can sort of push the pace, but I think I am about in the middle. I am so glad to be taking the class within a month of arriving. Some people have been here more than a year.
On Wed. I leave Korean language class a little early so I can get to my accounting class. I thought today went great. I did a handout review and got through the whole thing (not to bore everyone, but for my colleagues it was stuff like 3 main business activities, financial statements and elements, journal entries, using a trial balance to calculate net income, etc. I have to keep reminding myself to say Statement of Financial Position instead of Balance Sheet and Share Capital instead of stock). I told them I was going to be like my Korean language teacher and have them say things back to me. They were cooperative. I remarked that their English is very good - and it was. Many of them were right on top of the material (though even the best ones added accumulated depreciation with the total liabilities), but a few are struggling. I think a couple of them had intro. but not Intermediate I (maybe fewer rules about pre-reqs?). They must really want to take the English section. I had some quiet laughs when I called roll, but I told them I need to work on my Korean. There were 12 students today. The most that were on any temporary roster was 16, so I think last week there were extra people just checking me out. 12 is a good size for me to get to know them. Pray that there will be a good rapport in the classroom. I also hope to see some of them outside of class (lunch or coffee) but will wait for a couple of weeks for things to settle down before branching out. Funny challenge with office supplies: the 3 hole punch is in centimeters; hmm... where exactly to slide the punching pieces. I used trial and error.
Michael had a homework assignment that said to use A4 paper. I said he should find out what it is. But then the next day I noticed the standard reams of paper for the printer say A4. We don't have a printer at home (yet), so he sent an e-mail attachment of his Mars report and I printed at work. He has had some regular homework - mostly math.
Today there was drop in time for parents at school. (Recall the kids are off Wed. afternoon. Michael took a cab to campus - the school office called one and told destination - and Justin met him for lunch and then did a little shopping with him. Then they came to my office after I finished class. Then we put him in a cab home and I took a cab to HFS.) It turned out to be very nice that I went to HFS on the late side. The teachers were available from 1 to 5. I was the only one there at 4:00, so no one was waiting, so I am sure I got to talk to the teachers longer. They all said Michael is doing great on all aspects. One of them heard him say something to a classmate about "In Alabama ..." and this teacher thought that explained some of his good manners. There were some insightful comments - like given that he is new he seemed to sort of observe and size up people in order to decide who might be suitable for friends. They are pleased with his work and his behavior and that he seems very engaged in the classroom. The math teacher said a couple other classmates are about the same level so that it will be some healthy competition. It was nice for me to meet some of them for the first time and also to hear a bit about philosophy, etc. I could not be more pleased with how the school year has started for Michael. I give a lot of credit to Trinity for his fine education so far and for high standards of conduct. Please pray for him to make good choices about his conduct and to be a positive influence on others. Also please pray that he will do his best work and take a real interest in it.
I am pretty wiped out, especially given how I feel. Justin said, "You have a cold too?!" But I think mine is worse than Michael's. I had already planned not to go to campus tomorrow, so I think it will be nice to feel the freedom to sleep as late as I need. I will spend a couple hours getting my hair cut and colored for the first time. I had a recommendation for the place from a British woman. The Chuseok holiday has the university closed Mon. and Tues. (and Michael is also off Wed.), so we have some recovery time. It doesn't affect my accounting class, but it will be helpful to regroup in Korean language class with only Wed. next week.
That's all for now!! The Lord bless and keep all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment