I heard about a grocery store with foreign items so wandered around an area near downtown looking for it ... for quite awhile. The luck of the Irish got me there. I saw three young caucasians and asked if they knew where to find the "Foreigner Town" store. "No, but we are looking for it too." They are English teachers from Ireland. We walked together for awhile and then one of them spotted it. We laughed at ourselves for expecting all of it to be western. There was also Thai (lots of canned coconut milk, which reminds me of Paulo), Vietnamese and Indian. Some things could be purchased at a regular store (spag. sauce, for example). But I did buy a big bag of frozen peas (Michael is hardly eating vegetables but wasn't that excited about my find) and American hot dogs (that seemed better to him). The other thing that interested me was oatmeal and Hershey's chocolate syrup.
The store was very near where the foreigner festival was held. I saw a few people from language class. I participated in a game that our team won - yay! It was tossing up large tubes sort of like heavy beanbags. Depending on how they fell, a guy moved around a tarp with big circles (like a big twister mat). We got a prize that turned out to be a table version of the game. There were several different dancing groups and a good-sized crowd with lots of Koreans too. I didn't stay long because Michael was home on his own.
We had observed there are no Mexican restaurants here (which is such great eating when we visit family in Tucson), but today I saw a Mexican Chicken place. It wasn't open but looked just to be a chicken delivery place that maybe uses sauce that could pass for Mexican. It may be a good business opportunity for my brother Terry's family. Koreans like rice and spicy food!
We were at Ulsan Grand Park this morning. Besides having a large and beautiful expanse of developed area, there is also a sizeable woods area with hiking trails. I hiked while Michael biked. I got sort of lost on the way back. I had not noticed all the different trails on my way out adn then didn't even remember obvious landmarks like a bridge. I think I was just so happy to be on a hike. I ended up coming out of the woods onto a street but not recognizing it. I walked the direction I thought was correct and got back to the park in about 15 minutes. I was a relief to start recognizing some buildings. I didn't want Michael to worry if I was late to meet him. It was a good lesson to have money in my pocket, which I did. And I figured I could tell a taxi driver the name of a nearby apartment building.
Michael is at the part this evening for a ride on his own... enjoying that freedom! I picked up some ice cream at the convenience store across the street (C Mart) and went for the surprise of Goo Goo Cluster - some choc. chips and, I think, peanut butter. The weekend seems to go fast ... just like at home. Love to everyone, Kim and Michael
No comments:
Post a Comment