Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nice Friday

When I practiced my Korean language on my students at the end of class, they clapped. What a special, little blessing. Our first real lessons are starting, and this is what I said to them: What is this? It is a door. Pretty impressive, huh? It's more syllables in Korean!! We are also working on: What is that? and then answering (desk, chair, window, etc). I am trying not to judge the content of the course!! I just have to be patient to get to the chapter on interacting with taxi driver. I bought a small spiral for flash cards - the office supplies are so neat here. This one has "I can do it" cover. I stop by the little store on campus regularly to see if there is something that catches my eye. I can go to the post office (and bank) in the same building.

With such a small accounting class, I can see personalities in the students. There is the smart guy who seems a bit impatient with sometimes slow pace, there is the serious, alert fellow who seems on top of things, there are a couple of jokers, and there are a couple of very kind ones. These are just impressions; I know they are all unique and more complex. One of them told me after class that the reason he was late was "too much drinking last night." Too much information, I thought. Today one student who arrives early (like I try to do) asked me why I arrive early. I told him I like to talk informally with students before class and also get myself organized and ready ... especially coming from a different building. I am not sure if the Korean professors as a whole tend to arrive early. I am trying so hard to remember their names - 13 names in the States would only take a couple days not even trying.

It is nice to wrap up class on Friday and feel like I survived another week of Intermediate II. I have at least a week of material ready to go. I'd feel better with a bit more. It was nice yesterday to meet Michael at home instead of going out to HFS. I had more than an extra hour at work (and finished equity chapter!), and we both arrived home right about 4:30.

May the peace of Christ rule and reign in our hearts so that the overflow out of our mouths builds up. Have a great weekend! There is a foreigner party downtown Saturday (we've seen some posters). I told Michael we ought to support them supporting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment