It is mom who is home alone. Michael first stayed after school (which was after a school day trip to Busan to play soccer against a few other foreign schools) to play grounders (whatever that is). Then he called and asked if he could go out for dinner with Soren's family. Then Soren's mom called and asked if he could spend the night with Soren at Marin's house .... "Sure," I kept saying. I have met both moms and was glad he got the chance for a sleepover. I am sure he is not concerned that he has no toothbrush with him.
He is getting full benefit of the iPhone. It really has been nice because I am happy to have him stay after school; I just need him to let me know. Wed. he went to a late afternoon movie with some friends and Thursday he played soccer until about 6:00. He he texted me from the bus for travel home update and said the bus was the most crowded he had ever seen. That time of evening people are on their way from from work. He took the express bus for the first time and had to transfer downtown. He even remembered to scan his bus pass when exiting so that the next trip was free. Picture him at these crowded bus stops in a city of 1 million people ... sometimes I can not even picture it.
Picture him also enjoying playing soccer. He kind of held back the first couple of weeks at break time, but I think the kids are all supportive and encouraging and they play after school a lot too. The foreigner compound is like a village with people knowing each other and kids outside a lot. The school is in the midst of it with small field adjoining - that's where they play soccer. I think the school does a good job of making the most of the school day and not piling on homework, so the kids have a chance to have fun after school and on weekends (unlike most of the Korean school kids). That Michael likes school and the social life afterwards has freed up a lot of my time. God answers prayers beyond what we expect or ask! I prayed for months that he would find favor with the teachers and other students and that he would be a bright light and happy here. But I never realized how much he might increase in confidence and independence and being responsible for himself. I am really proud of him.
I didn't get home until after 5:00 because after lunch Prof. Kim and I hiked to the top of Munsu mountain - near the university. The last part to the top was quite steep and lots of steps. He called one of his former students on the way home (he gave me a ride), and we stopped by to meet her and her 12 year old son. They live very close to us and tomorrow night will take us to an outdoor concert. (I am not sure about the husband ... we'll see when they come over!)
I was extra sad to here about Steve Jobs because it reminded me of Paulo - same kind of cancer. It was also in October that we were finding out just how sick Paulo was, and his birthday is October 12. From time to time I really get a wave of missing him. We have a prayer list of cancer patients and mention their names everyday. We got a prayer request about one of the people today who received news about her cancer spreading. Count your blessings, and if you are not sure where you stand with the Lord, do not harden your heart to the good news of the gospel. Grace and peace to all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment